It was Friday, the thirteenth. I would have loved to stay in bed and overslept this day. Simply dreamy. But that was not possible, because there was an important conference and I should talk about superstition.
So that nothing could go wrong I prepared my appearance very thoroughly: My manuscript was perfect, the blue costume hung fresh from the cleaning in the closet and in my purse there were four pairs of spare tights.
So I tormented myself on the said morning from the bed. After having showered and had breakfast, I left the house perfectly styled. It was a wonderful morning and I left my car in the garage.
It was new.
A walk of about twenty minutes would certainly do me good and while I accompanied the sun’s rays, I wanted to sort my thoughts. In addition, as a precaution I had planned two hours for the short distance.
So I walked forward gladly, turned the next corner and stood in front of a ladder.
A very long one.
This seemingly shaky construction blocked the whole pedestrian path. There was no way I could go under her like all the other passer-bys did and, as a precaution, avoid the supposed danger.
Car tires squealed. A horn sounded and an old Opel rushed past me very close, whose driver tapped his forefinger to his temple, while he screamed something and drove the car through the only puddle far and wide. My jump to the side was not fast enough and dirty water spattered me.
Shaking my head and angry at the rude behavior of the Opel driver, I continued on my way, which led me through a small family home settlement.
Peaceful and quiet it was here.
Relieved, I took a breath, because half of the way was already behind me. Then I saw a cat.
A black one!
Lazily she lay in a front yard and seemed to sleep.
She did not move, me as well.
As rooted I stopped and start the animal. I stood there for an eternity of five minutes.
Nothing happened. So I tiptoed on. Just before I was level with the cattle, it stretched. Patronizing, it opened its mouth, yawned and jumped up.
I quickened my pace and wanted to walk by as fast as possible.
The black fur bundle actually scurried across the street in front of me and disappeared on the opposite side in the bushes. Abruptly I stopped. My legs did not want to go one step further. Something held me tight and prevented me from stepping over the magic line. So I decided to turn around and take a little detour through the park.
So I strolled through the park and discovered on a piece of lawn many Kleepflänzchen. There was plenty of time, so I made a short detour to the meadow and looked for a four-leafed copy.
And indeed, I found one in the shade of a rose hedge. Delighted, I stooped and picked the lucky charm. As I straightened up, my updo caught in the rose thorns. The more I tried to pull my head out of the bush, the tighter my curls knotted in the branches. Finally, I was able to free myself after a fight with the hedge. However, my hairstyle was in the bucket. Desperately, I tugged and tugged on my curls to bring them back into shape, and accidentally looked at my watch.
Frightened, I paused in my motion and swallowed.
The two hours had melted to almost thirty minutes. At that moment it ran freezing over my back. My arms fell down like heavy sacks and I muttered, “Quiet, Quiet, you can do it casually, it’s only five minutes, nonsense, two, you can even freshen up, so do not panic, pretty slow and you make it! ” Hurriedly, I tiptoed across the meadow on the way back and hurried on.
Just before I reached my destination, a chimney sweep came to me out of nowhere.
Big, dirty and radiant, he walked with sweeping footsteps past my left side.
I could not help it.
I had to run after him.
When I reached him, I nudged him on the shoulder and shouted something out of breath: “Hello, young man, please wait a minute, I need a lot of luck today!”
He stopped, turned and looked me up and down. Smiled. Then he just embraced me and hugged me. Nothing could go wrong now.
Beaming, I nodded to the unknown and wriggled out of his embrace. Seconds later he ran away and I dashed up the stairs to the lobby entrance of the conference center. I stopped at the door and looked down at me. The sight of the black spots on my costume jacket made me sick. The alleged lucky charm had turned out to be a simple catastrophe.
So I could not possibly step on the stage. Shocked, I slipped into the ladies’ room and looked at my reflection. There, instead of a good-looking woman, I saw a disheveled something. My dark blond curls flew confusedly around my head, and I also had small scratches on my forehead. My jacket and tights were stained and my hands looked like a close combat. That was the end of my career.
Frustrated, I looked at the four-leaf clover in my hand and whispered in a husky voice: “All dizziness, because of luck I’m out of luck I’ll have nothing soon!” With drooping shoulders, I grabbed my bag and secretly wanted to rush off, as an idea shot through my head. It was unusual, but it suited that day and my speech.
Shortly determined, I took off my shoes and broke off the heels with great effort. Then I smeared my forehead and my hands with road dirt – so no one could see the fresh scratch marks.
Finally, I split a bit of the sleeve seam of my costume jacket, pulled out through the hole some food and put the jacket back on. Now I was done and stood in front of the mirror front. Satisfied, I looked at my impossible appearance.
A little later I entered the conference room. Of course, the event had already started. I deliberately dropped the door into the lock with a loud bang and smiled as curious glances flew in my direction. On my way, I nodded to one or the other friendly and hobbled with my head up to the first row, where my place was reserved. I heard marbles and giggles from the room.
My first appearance was successful.
When I finally staggered onto the stage and stood behind the lectern to begin my talk, there was an eerie silence. Everyone stared at me and their uncomprehending glances pierced me.
OK then!
They would listen to me.
Slowly I grabbed the microphone, fumbled it out of the holder and ran it to the edge of the stage. It seemed to me that some listeners were holding their breath.
With a firm voice, I began: “Dear Guests, Values ​​Present! Today, Friday, the thirteenth, we are talking about superstition, discussing what it still means in our modern world and what myths are involved, but look at me on!” Demonstrativatively I turned back and forth. Sighed impressively into the microphone before I continued: “Look carefully I’m a victim of this sinister Thirteenth On my way, I was almost killed by a ladder, fought with a black cat for the right of use of the road and finally collapsed I have a four-leaf lucky clover under a rose bush and a hug from a chimney sweep. “A little luck man has to somehow secure himself – I thought to myself!”
Then I said nothing, lifting up the delicate little plant as evidence.
Was waiting.
Suddenly someone laughed and clapped. Like a wave, this sound spread and almost everyone present applauded. Meanwhile, I carried the costume jacket behind the lectern and tamed my locks with a hair tie to a reasonably prudent ponytail.
Minutes later, there was another haunting silence over the human being, and I continued, “Yes, you are right.” Of course, that’s nonsense, nonsense, and you well understood that I figured it out to you what such a superstition can do How could it be, you would believe it, but it can also be very different if you do not believe … “
And I chattered and chattered and delivered the speech of my life.
When I left the stage, raging hand clapping accompanied me to the square. Just as I leaned back and wanted to enjoy this euphoric feeling, someone tapped me on the back.
Angry, I turned around and looked into two blue stars. These eyes almost sucked me up and a melodious voice spoke to me. More and more the hall blurred, a fog swallowed the sounds around me. I only saw the unknown and heard these words. The man told me something about a broken mirror a year ago and that he had been unlucky since that event. But by my speech, he now knew that all this was nonsense and that he certainly would not find a new partner in seven years; because his girlfriend at the time ran away from him.
Suddenly I interrupted his speech: “No, you’re more likely to find that, what do you think if I tell you more about superstition and stuff?”
He agreed.
Without paying attention to the podium discussion, we got up and left. I resolutely grabbed his hand, pulled him to the exit, and led him through the park, under the ladder, into my apartment.
Since then we are a couple. A very happy and superstitious we are only a little bit. Honestly. Only on Fridays, the thirteenth, do we stay home in bed and celebrate our lucky day. Also, I’ll be careful to have my sweetheart smash a mirror again after seven years – just to be on the safe side. Because I’m not so sure if only I was lucky and he against …
And that’s exactly what I never want to find out. For what ?!